Insurance For Your Pets
Pet Insurance 101
- Insurers differ.
Not all pet insurance is the same. Some insurance plans cover accidents to your pet, but not illnesses. Some plans cover treatment for cancer, some don’t. It can be confusing, so you will need to do some research.
- Don’t just look at the price.
A low price is no bargain if your insurance company denies your pet’s claim. Cheaper policies tend to provide less coverage. Will the cheapest pet policy cover your dog’s cancer treatment? Probably not.
- You can use any veterinarian you want.
Not sure if Fort Street accepts pet insurance? Don’t worry, this is not an issue. All pet insurance companies will allow claims from any licensed veterinarian.
- You have to pay the veterinary bill out of your own pocket.
With human health insurance, your doctor invoices your insurance company and you may never even see the bill. However, with pet insurance, you have to pay your veterinary bill and then submit your claim to your insurance company for reimbursement. (This is because pet insurance is considered a form of property insurance.)
- Pre-existing conditions are not covered.
Not ever. Think of it this way: if you got into a car accident and then tried to buy auto insurance the next day, do you think it would be fair to expect the insurance company to pay for your accident?
- Is pet insurance worth it?
Pet insurance protects you from large, unexpected vet bills. If your pet’s serious health problem would force you to go into debt or consider euthanasia, pet insurance could be for you.
Need Additional Help?
- FIND THE BEST PER INSURANCE FOR YOUR BREED
- The smartest way to buy the right plan at the best price.
- Pawlicy.com is an informative insurance site, that helps owners FIND the best insurance options and pools all the insurances in Vet med into one location.
- Personalized recommendations, Compare top providers side-by-side, and Uncover hidden savings on pet insurance. Get your pet’s insurance quote through PawlicyAdvisor.